Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum & Memorial Guided Tour by Minivan 7,5 hours
Book a tour
Szybka i łatwa rezerwacja
Arbeit Macht Frei = Works makes you free
19 September 1940 Someone is banging on the door: Get dressed and follow us ! After two days I am in a freight carriage . The train is going slowly, the door opens, I see the inscription : ‘Arbeit macht frei’ and a chimney. I suppose it is a factory. The commandeer leaves no doubts even to the naïve like myself: ‘ Look this is the crematory. The chimney is the only way to freedom’ – recalls professor Władysław Bartoszewski, a former prisoner of the camp.
It is a site of terror which defies human description and understanding. Auschwitz was the biggest nazi concentration camp, the site of gradual destruction of prisoners and at the same time the biggest site of the genocide of the Jews. It is above all millions of human beings , among others the story of father Maximilian Kolbe, who sacrificed his life to save an inmate. The Camp has been recognized as the UNESCO Heritage of Humanity. The current Auschwitz- Birkenau Camp is a symbol of the the human cruelty in XX century.
Auschwitz I Main Camp was founded 27 April 1940. However the real hell started 14 june 1940 when the first transport with over 700 people polish political prisoners and polish jews arrived at the camp. From then on Aushwwitz became the site of gradual extermination by inhumane living conditions, physical destruction of the prisoners. It was the biggest site of the physical extermination of the jews. The fences, barbed wires, watchtowers , barracs, gallows, gas chambers and crematories all depict the circumstances under which the nazi genocide in the Auschwitz concentration and death camp took place.
Birkenau – In 1941 dueto the decision of Heinrich Himmler the camp Auschwitz II –Birkenau was created, it was situated about 3 km away from Auschwitz I. Birkenau extends on over 140 hectares. On that land more than 300 buildings of different types have been built: barracs, latrines, watchtowers, gas chambers etc. During its 3 years of existence it has fulfilled different functions: its construction started October 1941 as a camp for around 125 00 prisoners of war. It was launched in March 1942 as a branch of KL Auschwitz fulfilled simultaneously the function of a death camp for jews.
Auschwitz Sight-seeing :
- Pick up from accommodation in Krakow.
- A visit to Auschwitz I – about 2 hours. (Price include ticket to Muzeum Auschwitz Birkenau)
- It is expected to about 15 minute break.
- Birkenau – more than an hour.
- Return to your accommodation or to the city center.
In the museum you can see the platforms on which the selections were held, crematories, barracs tat serve as sites for the expositions. In the museum you will also have a chance to see the private belongings of the prisoners, items stolen from the deported jews, pictures, proves of crimes left by the perpetrators. Apart from it you will see models, sculptures, prisoners’ clothes, bunk beds that they slept on as well as other object used by the inmates.
We will pick you up from your hotel in Cracow. The visit of Auschwitz I takes around 2 hours.
Afterwards, you will have a short 15 minute break before visiting Birkenau which takes about 1 hour. Then we come back to Cracow to your hotel or any other place in downtown Cracow.
The drive from Cracow to Auschwitz takes about 1,5 h. You will travel in a comfortable and air-conditioned van.
In Auschwitz you can take pictures free of charge.
If you prefer a different schedule of the trip get in touch with our reservation department and we will organize a private trip for you.
You can order lunch box (pasta salad, mayonnaise sauce, chicken and vegetables, two sandwiches with ham, cheese and tomato, chocolate bar, drink – water / Coca-Cola / Sprite / Mirinda.
Price lunch box – 20 zł.
Know before you go :
• Please note that large backpacks and handbags are not permitted in Auschwitz Birkenau Museum. Maximum bag size is 20 / 30 cm
• Time of pick-up can be changed – you will be informed by mobile phone, email or through the reception desk
• Please inform the tour operator if you have a small child requiring a car seat
• Please note, you will need to show your student card at the desk if you have booked the student ticket
• You are advised to bring a packed lunch to save time, although there is a place to buy snacks
• Please note, this is a group tour. It is not private
• Please note, in exceptional cases, the minivan might be replaced with a bigger bus, with very similar comfort